Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Meaningless Meanderings

So as I lay down to sleep last night I wondered why it is that when we are thinking of things to say there seem to many words floating around. However, when we go to write out what is in our heads it sure seems sparse on paper (or this case the web). Perhaps that is the curse of being a male, words seem to fail us. Or perhaps we are just pre-programmed to sum things up in short, concise phrases. You'd think after being a Bishop for three years I'd learn to drone on and on, and on...(sorry, getting carried away there.) Side note: Reminds me of the character in one of Shakespeare's plays that goes on and on about brevity being the sign of inteligence and therefore he'd be brief, after his five minute explanation of brevity.

I have often thought about writing a book or story, but after a few pages I've said all I wanted to say. Now there's a good book. "Hey Larry, did you read that NY Best Seller the other day?" "Yeah Joe, I read it while I was waiting for my microwave lunch to cook."

Maybe that's what our culture needs though. I mean, we've become a society of instant gratification (or disappointment) and we don't seem to like to wait for anything. You can get married or divorced in a hurry, lunch, dinner, registration for vacation or school; it's all done in the blink of an eye. Have we forgotten the joys of sitting on the porch and watching the sun go down? Are we TOO rushed? Don't believe me? When was the last time you got impatient for the microwave popcorn to finish?

So, with that in mind, maybe we need to come out with a new style of book. Not the Harry Potter 700 and some odd pages long story to finish it all off (this book actually seemed rushed to me. I think it could have extended on to another volume, but by then my eyeballs would have dried out.) Maybe I could write a guide to the world, in an expansive 20 page book. It would cover all the need to know information on how to get a better job, live in peace with your neighbors (in-laws would take an additional page, JUST KIDDING!), the secret to happiness, etc... Perhaps this would be the most widely read book in the world, brining peace and harmony to all.

I'd start writing it right now, but it'd take too long, and my favorite show is coming on. I guess I'll have to settle for writing the cliff's notes. Well, I guess I've finally accomplished what I wanted to do, which is write more than two lines...not that it's worth anything. Partly I just wanted to see what would happen if I wrote down whatever was in my head. Now THERE's a scary thought! Try it sometime. Just sit down and write whatever comes up. Can you imagine if you did that all day long? It'd be neat to read I'm sure. In fact, this post didn't end up anywhere near where I first imagined. But I guess that's the point of meandering. It takes you to places you've never been or supposed you be. Which brings me to my next thought.

What places would you visit if you could go anywhere in the world? I've always wanted to go to Ireland (roots) and Germany to see the castles. I'd also like to visit Alaska. Maybe someday.

3 comments:

hoLLy said...

I enjoyed reading your post! I love just writing whatever I'm thinking sometimes, its fun(and may scare people sometimes, but whatev:).I'm with you on wanting to visit Ireland. I would also love to go to Italy, Spain or Greece.

Jeanie said...

Thanks for keeping everyone posted on your family's activities.....we love you all and will forgive the in-laws dig!! We know you have the greatest in-laws...haha!!!

Jeanie said...

Thanks for keeping us all posted on your family's busy lives...We even enjoyed the in-laws comment...since we happen to know yours are fabulous!!!