Friday, February 08, 2008

Discrimenation

Austin TCEA - I've experienced an ifinitely small portion of the problem of problem this week. As I've walked around with my Network Administrator who is older than me and we've talked to vendors they've always started talking to him first. Once they learn that I am the boss they focus their attention on me and continue their discussion. This morning, in a session, I walked in with Holli Horton, who does teacher development in technology, and Duane who is the network admin. I sat in the middle of the two and an older lady who was going to give the presentation talked first to Holli, gave her some notes, scanned her badge, and then proceeded to do the same with Duane. Now, Duane and Holli are a bit more dressed up than I, but she just totally ignored me. She didn't say hello, who are you or even acknowledge I was there.

Now, I don't think she did this to be mean. However, it was an interesting socialogy experiment in which it seemed that she just assumed that since I was younger and not all dressed up that I wasn't anyone worth adressing. The bright side of the issue is that I won't be receiving any junk mail from them!

This whole experience made me reflect and wonder if I ever discrimenate or assume something about someone just because of the way they look. I know I've done it in the past. I recall judging people on the way they looked only to find that their personality was no where near what I thought. Some help that along by TRYING to be different, but sometimes we make assupmtions regardless on if someone is smart, nice, rich, or poor, or even in charge on age, looks and dress.

Have you ever judged someone on appearance only to find out you were wrong in your assumptions?

6 comments:

Tara D. said...

Oh yeah! I bet we all have. It makes you think, though. I try not to make assumptions most times, but sometimes I do it without even realizing it.

Cindy said...

Hey, my friend, Amber, -'s mom is there. Did you see her?????

hoLLy said...

i think we are all probably guilty of doing this sometimes. you shoulda slapped that lady....:) j/k

Bryan Brown said...

I'm sure I did, with the other 8,403 people there. :) What does she do?

Cindy said...

She's works at Birdville ISD in Ft Worth. I don't think she's the head of the department, though. Her name is Theresa Lawson, about 47 years old! Nice lady from Stephenville.

blaker239 said...

HHHEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY DAD