Wednesday, February 06, 2008

So that's what they mean...

Bryan - I'm in Austin this week for the Texas Computer Education Association conference. I had often seen the "Keep Austin Weird" bumper stickers and thought it was just a cute gimmick. I'm beggining to think otherwise...maybe they're serious! So, there is this homeless "guy" named Leslie who lives downtown. Seems that Leslie (who wears women's clothes,and did I mention he/she was homeless?) ran for mayor not too long ago after it was encouraged to do so. Wonder how many votes she/he/??? got?

I'm walking around this HUGE convention center and see many bathroom signs for females and then one for male/female...wish you could see the sign. I'm told this is for those who are undecided, or that it is a "community" bathroom. I don't even let that happen in my house! I can just imagine being at the urinal while some lady walks in to the stall next to me. Excuse me?!?!

There have been some other interesting items but I don't quite remember them right now. I think that is a self defense mechanism to preserve sanity.

Eating is great though. (Even better since I haven't paid for any of it.) Yesterday for lunch we went to Fogo de Chau. For those that know it, yep I was full. For those that don't, you can't even begin to imagine the salad bar with WONDERFUL items including cheeses, dried tomatoes, huge green olives, dried meats, etc...Then when you're ready for the second course the gauchos walk around with meats on skewers and slice it for you as long as you indicate that you are hungry by showing the green circle. If you are ok you flip it over to red. Great MEAT!!! Did I mention this is a Brazilian Steak house? Don't bother asking for a menu...there isn't one. And price? If you have to ask...you REALLY don't want to.

Then, as if that wasn't enough, we had dinner at Louie's 106 on 6th street. Ok, aside from the Mardis Gras celebration there on 6th street it was really good food. I looked at the menu and it started at $20/plate. I had a HUGE pork chop dinner (2 inches thick) and a great creme brule (brulay, sp?).

Tonight's dinner is downtown and so is tomorrow's. I think I'll need to walk home to Corpus. I don't usually do this...(I'm known to get food and go back to my hotel room), but sometimes you have to live large!

The sessions have been pretty good, and there are a ton of vendors. Now I just have to get home and implement all that we've learned.

1 comment:

hoLLy said...

austin is awesome in so many ways, but definitely "weird" in others:) we almost sat on the sidelines of a gay pride parade without knowing what it was until we saw lots of transvestites holding rainbow signs. then we were like, oops, lets get outta here! :) we just heard music and saw there was a parade and thought-oh lets go watch, the kids will love it. little did we know....